February 25, 2013 · 8:06 am
Today I am 28 years old. 🙂 Here are 28 things I learned in this past year.
- I love going to plays. I saw two plays (Good People and The Brother’s Size) this year, and I was moved to tears by both. I can’t wait to see the next one!
- I enjoy TV shows that have one word titles; “Revenge”, “Deception”, “Nashville”, “Survivor”, “Scandal”, “Chicago Fire”… oh wait. Never mind.
- You can teach an old dog new tricks.
Tahn, at her first (second time around) Puppy Class
- I hate living in a messy bedroom and a messy house. (Also: I hate all the clutter and stuff I have. I am in the process of getting rid of many things. DVDs and old Coach purses, anyone?)
- I like driving with my windows down.
- I need to do yoga weekly. With or without a studio.
- I shouldn’t wait until I make more money to start saving money. I am learning to make better (small) financial choices daily.
- I did find an exercise that I love.
- Meditation only helps with stress if you practice it daily. Meditation doesn’t help when you’re remarkably stressed or upset.
- Being honest and telling the truth continues to be the best and most challenging decision I’ve ever made in my life.
- Eating well daily and consistently keeping active will help you lose (and keep off) weight.
- I like thriller novels. (Just like my grandma).
- Being single is really fantastic. I have embraced my singleness this year (after the dramatic failure of an attempted relationship) and I am much, much happier single.
- I was born a leader. And I become a better leader everyday.
- Making time for myself has a paramount affect on my happiness spectrum.
- I actually do like going out. As a self-proclaimed home-body, I have found friends whom like doing what I like to do – happy hours! (and other things). I love it.
- Acts of kindness from strangers are some of the best experiences you’ll ever have.
- While making friends can be challenging, once you find them, they bless your life in more ways then you could ever imagine.
- San Diego is one of the best places to live. (My sister was right).
- Doing the right thing and treating others with respect doesn’t guarantee that you won’t have conflict in your life. In fact, there is no protection at all. Sometimes, you do the right thing and get burned. Don’t be deferred. Do the right thing.
- Although I value the opinions of those who I care most about, their opinions are just that – opinions. I am the person who has to live with my daily choices and life. My opinion is the only one that matters.
- Having a nephew is great. Having a niece and a nephew is really fantastic.
- Tahn LOVES a routine.
- The difference a year makes. I am in such a better place then I was a year ago. And a year before that. Aging is awesome!
- I need to learn how to speak slower. For real.
- Non-judging is key to my happiness.
- Kitchen appliances, although they take up space, can be very useful for healthy cooking. (A food processor and blender are on the top of the list, not far down is a rice cooker). (Also: I am my father’s child).
- My mom and dad really, truly love me with all of their hearts. (It’s not that I didn’t know this, but this year I was overwhelmed by their love for me on many occasions. I went home a few weeks before Thanksgiving and the one thing I took away from that weekend was that my parents just love me. It is one of the best feelings in the world).
My mom and me.
My dad and me. (Hey Dad, we need to take a more updated picture. This is from 2009).
Filed under Blogging, Crazy Dog Lady, Exercise, Family, Fun Things, Life, Living Simply, Love, Tahnee, Things I love, Things I've learned
Tagged as Birthday, Family, honesty
March 19, 2012 · 6:00 am
Recently, I turned 27. I had one of the best birthdays I’ve had in my twenties. In San Diego, I had a dinner with close friends – a night of laughing, listening and unconditional love. Last weekend, I traveled to the Bay Area and had an incredible family dinner and birthday cake made my brother and S2. My family came together over this superb meal, and I felt completely loved.
As my brother and S2 remind me every year, I am 27 years-old, starting my 28th year of life. (Right?! Just when you become okay with your age, you gain another year!)
Inspired by many fellow blogger’s life lists, and particularly Drea’s 30 by 30, and Tami’s 43 by 43 here are 28 things I want to do in my 28th year.
- Learn how to surf.
- Read 28 books.
- Save 10% of my monthly paycheck.
- Do 10 real push-ups.
- Listen to live music at least once a month.
- Start a garden in my backyard.
- Take Tahn to the beach twice a month (except when it’s closed for the summer).
- Create scrapbooks of all the cards from my grandma.
- Find a yoga studio in the San Diego area that teaches Yin Yoga; attend class twice a month.
- Go to a roller derby match.
- Visit 3 museums in San Diego.
- Enter two writing contests.
- Write a letter a week.
- Hold a plank for 60 seconds.
- Walk Tahn 5 days a week.
- Become CPR certified.
- Hike once a month.
- Bake an Angel Food Cake from scratch.
- Help my mom learn to use her iPod.
- Clear out all the boxes of stuff from my dad’s house.
- Play in the beach with Buddy.
- Learn to French Braid my hair.
- Find a volunteer job that I really love.
- Host a brunch.
- Join a wine club.
- Start collecting wall art.
- Watch a foreign film.
- Stop using paper towels.
Filed under Exercise, Family, Food!, Fun Things, Life, Living Simply
Tagged as 28, Bay Area, Beach, Birthday, books, CPR, gardening, lists, San Diego, surfing, yoga
November 23, 2011 · 10:31 pm
From November 19 – December 26 I will have traveled from San Diego to the Bay Area four times.
Three of the four times will for sure be by flight. I may drive the last trip.
I know what you’re thinking: “Why!?!?” Well, I went to home (the Bay Area) last weekend to celebrate S2‘s graduation from her master’s program, I’m in the airport tonight for Thanksgiving, in a couple of weeks I’ll be going home for Buddy‘s first birthday (Can you believe it has already been a year?!?! Buddy will be one year old. Seriously, so amazingly exciting). Then, for Christmas. I may drive home for the Christmas trip, but it has yet to be decided.
I got a late flight out of San Diego today. I did this for two fold: 1) I didn’t know what time I would be off work and I didn’t want to risk missing my flight. 2) I didn’t know what the traffic would be like and I didn’t want to miss my flight.
Even though I was home um, TWO AND 1/2 DAYS AGO, I didn’t want to miss a single second at home.
And although my sleeping situation this Thanksgiving is a little, well I guess I’ll say nomadic, (Of the four nights I’m home I’ll be sleeping in four different beds in two houses. It’s complicated. Never mind) I am thrilled to be on my way home.
Last weekend was sort of a blur and I imagine this weekend will be too. I try to see so many different people, and spend lots of time with this special girl:
She is just as sweet as I remembered.
I hope everyone has a great, Happy Thanksgiving!
Filed under Crazy Dog Lady, Family, Food!, Friends, Fun Things, Holidays, Tahnee, Vacation
Tagged as airport, Birthday, Christmas, flying, Thanksgiving, traveling